Want to rent a car in Costa Rica without a credit card? If so, this greatly limits your choices. Some local rental companies do offer you that option. Do you want to make use of that? First ask to see the car you will be given. Also read the terms and conditions carefully before signing an agreement.
In this article, we'd like to explain to you a bit more about the possibilities and impossibilities regarding renting a car in Costa Rica without a credit card.
Planning to rent a car in Costa Rica?
Use the Road Trip Car online platform to find car rental companies best suited for your trip.start search
Rent a car and pay a deposit in Costa Rica with a prepaid credit card
The only way to rent a car in Costa Rica without a credit card is with a prepaid credit card.
The disadvantage of renting with a prepaid credit card, is that it takes much longer before you get your deposit back. In addition, you have less choice of rental companies and rental cars.
A prepaid credit card can be a solution if you don't want to or can't get a credit card. If you rent a car in Costa Rica with a prepaid credit card, there are a number of advantages for you over a normal credit card:
- You don't need a fixed income;
- You deposit an amount on the card yourself and cannot spend more than that amount. So you don't build up debts;
- A prepaid credit card does not require a credit check or authorization from the creditor. This is required for a normal credit card, however, as that is considered a loan.
Search for a rental car
For a rental company, there are some drawbacks to the prepaid card:
- They don't know how much money is on it, so it's uncertain whether the rental fees will be met;
- In the case of costs due to damages, they also have no assurance that they can be met.
Therefore, rental companies do not always accept the prepaid credit card. If you find a rental company that accepts the prepaid credit card as payment and for the deposit, be sure to read the terms and conditions carefully before signing.
Can you rent a car in Costa Rica without paying a deposit?
At the rental companies we researched, it is not possible to rent a car without paying a deposit.
At a few local rental agencies, it is possible to rent a car without a deposit. In general, rental companies require a credit card on which an amount can be blocked as a deposit. With a credit card they have security in case of any damage to the rental car and they know for sure that the rental amount will be paid.
The companies hope that renters will be more careful about using a rental car if there is a risk of losing the deposit.
Also, for cash deposits, some local rental companies will accept them, provided they are not too high.
During our travels, we have rented dozens of cars in different countries on different continents, without a single problem! On this page you will find our best tips on renting a car, so you too can enjoy a carefree road trip. Roadtripcar.com has prepared a handy checklist, so you can be sure to check all the important points when picking up your rental car. You can download it for free via the same article!
This is what a (prepaid) credit card looks like.
Rent a car with a credit card in someone else's name
If you are the main driver and you cannot provide a credit card in your name when picking up the car, you will not be given the car. Is there a second driver and does he or she have a credit card? Then you have two options:
- Cancel the booking on the spot and make a new booking with the other driver as the main driver;
- The owner of the credit card becomes the primary driver and you the secondary driver.
Additional charges may apply with either option.
Still want to rent a car in Costa Rica with a credit card?
If after reading the above you decide to rent a car in Costa Rica with a credit card anyway, pay attention to this:
- The deposit (deductible) will be deducted from the spending limit on your credit card;
- Some credit cards include insurance with car rentals. Check with your credit card company to see if this is the case for you and what benefit this will bring you.
Which rental companies can I contact?
You now know about renting a car in Costa Rica without a credit card. Meanwhile, you probably want to get started on your Costa Rica road trip as soon as possible in the perfect rental car! At Roadtripcar.com, we've made this a lot easier for you.
With our online tool you can compile an overview of rental companies where you can rent the car you want and need. Within minutes, you will have found the ideal rental company.